Please note that, although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of all information printed here, it is the student’s responsibility to check with his/her director for any changes in audition requirements or schedules.
This page contains specific information about auditioning for All-State Band: 1st round, 2nd round, audition requirements, piano and double bass, results.
General Information (including a description of ensembles, eligibility, performance location, audition process, and other information) is on an separate page.
1st Round Auditions
|September 16, 2017|
|• Registration form must be submitted and check must be postmarked by September 1, 2017.
• Be aware that schools will be assessed a $50.00 late fee if this deadline is not met. Students who are registered late will be assigned whatever times are still available. All late entries must be received at least 5 days prior to an event.
|Southeastern La. University, Pottle Music Building (registration in lobby)|
|Auditions are in the morning; specific times will be assigned after registration deadline|
|• $10.00 per entry
• Students - Fees should be paid to the student's school.
• Directors - A single school check, payable to L.M.E.A. District IX, must be mailed by the deadline to: Rossi DiBenedetto. A hard copy of the registration form must be included.
|Directors must submit the registration form online (under "Forms") by the registration deadline.|
LMEA Student Information Release Form:
|Directors must turn in an "LMEA Student Information Release Form" for each student auditioning before students will be allowed to audition.|
|See information below|
2nd Round Auditions
Due to a conflict at Lafayette High, 2nd round will be at Pineville High again this year.
Auditions for All-State wind instruments include all major scales, chromatic scale, two prepared etudes, and sight-reading as described below. Students must follow suggested tempi and articulation.
Percussion auditions require a proficiency on batter, mallet percussion, and timpani. Sight-reading is also required.
Additional information can be found on the state website, https://www.lmeamusic.org.
- Scales – to print out the major scales and the chromatic scale, click on the appropriate instrument below.
Mallets are not required to prepare all twelve major scales each year. The specific requirements for a particular year can be found by clicking the mallets link under “Prepared Etudes.”
Low E-flat Alto Clarinet
Low B-flat Bass Clarinet
Alto and Bari Saxophone
Horn in F
Baritone Treble Clef
- Prepared Etudes – All instruments are required to perform two etudes, one fast and one slow. There is a four-year cycle of etudes. Be sure to carefully check for this year’s requirements.
- Sight-Reading – All students will be required to sight-read a short piece. They are encouraged to practice sight-reading in a variety of keys and in simple, compound, and mixed meters. They should be comfortable with chromatics, accidentals, and a variety of rhythms (including syncopation, triplets, dotted rhythms, and rests). Percussion will sight-read on both snare and melodics.
Piano and Double Bass
Piano and double bass are frequently needed one or both of the All-State Band ensembles, depending on the current year’s program selections (decided on by the guest director).
Students wishing to audition for All-State Band should follow the audition requirements listed in the All-State Orchestra section.
- First round audition results will be posted on this site as soon as available – usually the night of auditions. They will be found under “Audition Results” in the menu.
- Second round audition results will be posted on the state’s website, https://www.lmeamusic.org.